Daingean is located in the eastern part of Offaly on the R402, approximately equidistant from Tullamore and Edenderry. The town is situated on the Grand Canal.
Daingean was originally named Philipstown in 1556 when it was established as the capital town of King’s County (Offaly), under the plantation of Laois and Offaly by Queen Mary Tudor.
In 1883, Tullamore replaced Daingean as the focal point of the county. As a result, Philipstown was demoted from capital town. In 1922, with the foundation of the Free State, it was renamed Daingean, at the same time as County Offaly replaced the old King’s County.